What Causes Skin Aging?
Intrinsic aging occurs in all skin but is easiest to identify on non-sun-exposed areas. Visible signs of aging result from free radical damage due to internal cellular metabolism and energy creation. Photoaging is also related to free radical damage but originates from specifically from sun exposure. The causes of aging in the skin include:
Free Radical Damage (Oxidative Stress)
A disruption of atomic structure within cells. For exposed skin, 85% of free radical damage comes from the sun and the remaining 15% from toxins and pollution. Additional causes of free radical damage include smoking, chemical oxidants, and poor nutrition.
Redness, swelling, and irritation resulting from free radical damage that can have lasting effects. Inflammation is necessary for healing, but too much can have negative effects such as excess scarring.
A disruption to cellular function and structure. Protection from the sun, pollution, smoking, and toxins are vital in keeping DNA safe from damage. Preventing DNA damage preserves cellular function and lessens the risk of cancer.
A chemical process in skin where glucose to collagen which alters the functionality of skin’s architecture and contributes to increasing the signs of aging. Glycated chains of collagen cause tissue breakdown and lead to wrinkles.
What is Photoaging?
Photoaging is the most common type of skin aging found on sun-exposed areas. When UVA and UVB solar rays strike skin, free radical damage occurs and skin aging progresses. Photoaging has many effects including increased cancer risk, decreased immunity, wrinkling, sagging, lentigines (age spots), and pigmentary irregularities while causing the visible and microscopic changes of the aging face. Up to 90% of all skin changes related to aging are caused by sun exposure. Studies have shown that applying iS Clinical products can stop sun damage at the cellular level and provide DNA photoprotection. This lessens the risk of photoaging and skin cancer.
Why is Sunscreen Important?
Solar energy hitting the skin can result in sunburn, uneven pigmentation, photoaging, and an increased risk of skin cancer. Sunscreens are designed to prevent the transfer of energy from solar rays to skin. UVA rays penetrate more deeply into the skin and can cause damage to the skin on a cellular level. Worldwide, there are several different ways of measuring UVA protection. UVB rays have lower energy than UVA but strike the surface of the skin and cause sunburn. SPF is a rating system used to measure the effectiveness of a product’s ability to block UVB rays.
Sunscreens that give both UVA and UVB protections are called “broad spectrum”. As both UVA and UVB rays damage the skin, comprehensive sun protection is vital to help decrease the risks of photoaging and skin cancer. Zinc Oxide provides the most extensive protection throughout both the UVA and UVB ranges of solar energy. New advances in formulation technology with micro- and nanoencapsulation have helped solve the issue of the pasty white appearance of physical sunscreens.
Consistent reapplication is vital to maintain proper protection. Sunscreen should be applied to exposed skin 15 minutes before going outside and then every two hours. Lips should also be protected by an SPF product. More frequently applications will be needed with water exposure, sweating and sports participation.
What is the Best Way to Treat Wrinkles?
Free radicals that lead to damage within skin cells can be neutralized with antioxidants. As antioxidants have different chemical make-ups and penetrate different areas of the cell, a combination of antioxidants is best to treat the signs of aging. The quality of these antioxidant ingredients is vital for the effectiveness of treatment. iS Clinical products use pharmaceutical grade ingredients that are of a significantly higher quality and purity level than the cosmeceutical grade ingredients used in most other products.
- Centella Asiatica: Wound healer that helps with collagen production
- Olive Leaf Extract: Highly effective anti-inflammatory botanical
- Superoxide Dismutase: Intrinsic enzymatic antioxidant that lessen damage from free radicals
These vitamins are strong antioxidants in their own right, but they also provide nutrition to the skin and help fortify the skin’s ability to renew itself and remain youthful strong.
Products with antioxidants can decrease the inflammatory process and therefore lessen the velocity of aging. iS Clinical products that are superior antioxidants:
When Should a Preventative Skincare Regimen Start?
It is never to late to improve the effects of oxidative stress through a cosmeceutical skincare regimen. In the same way exercise helps keep muscles in good working order, a skincare regimen does the same for skin cell function and collagen production. iS Clinical has developed several effective skincare regimens built around the four steps to great skin: cleanse, treat, hydrate, and protect.
Items 13-24 of 29